The FIA finally got round to putting out a press release relating to the World Council meeting in Marrakech today. The release came hours after Haas Formula had announced that it had been granted a licence to compete in F1 in the future. No details were given by either party with regard to the date of the entry, which seemed an odd way to do business. The FIA said that it had accepted Haas’s entry and was “in the process of conducting further investigations for Forza Rossa”, so one must presume that there is still the chance of another new team. There was no explanation as to the identity of Forza Rossa, but one assumes that this is the Romanian government-backed project. There was no explanation as to why the Romanian project is still being looked into and Haas has been accepted.
The announcement said that all the F1 teams recently confirmed their commitment to work on cost reduction. This flies in the face of statements made in Bahrain where Todt said that “I understand that all the teams that are part of the Strategy Group are against it now”. A meeting will be organised with all the teams on May 1 to clarify how this will be done. The FIA did not mention it, but it was sent a letter before the meetings by the four smallest teams who seem to have suggested that the FIA needs to find a solution to the cost problem, or else there will be questions about the legality of the F1 Strategy Group.
The press release also said that a study on engine noise is under way.
There was little else to report, which was probably a good thing because the press release came out so late on Friday evening that most of the conventional media outlets will not be reporting the news. One can only wonder whether the FIA Communication Department, which unforgivably failed to do anything to promote the exciting new Formula 1 regulations at the start of the season, which led to much negativity about F1 in recent weeks, understands how the media works.