Sainz and Kvyat remain at STR
October 22, 2016 by Joe Saward
Scuderia Toro Rosso has confirmed that it is to retain Daniil Kvyat and Carlos Sainz in 2017.
“It’s great news!” said Kvyat. “I’d like to thank Red Bull, Dr. Marko and all the team for their support and the faith they have shown in me since I returned to the team earlier this year. I’m very happy to stay with a team that feels like home to me. I’m really looking forward to continuing the hard work together in 2017 and I’m really aiming high. I will always be fully dedicated, giving my ‘200%’, and I will be pushing as hard as I usually do, that’s for sure. I’m delighted!”
Team boss Franz Tost said that Kvyat has been retained because he is back at his best.
“In recent races, it has been clear that Daniil is back on top form,” he said. “I always told him that his future with us was in his hands and he has stepped up to the mark and delivered the sort of performances that have ensured his 2017 seat in the STR 12. We now have a very talented and strong driver pairing to tackle a season in which we expect to be very competitive.”
The news is bad for Pierre Gasly, who was hoping to step into F1 next year. The Frenchman recently did 277 laps of Abu Dhabi in a modified 2015 Red Bull, doing work for Pirelli. This presumably was part of the decision-making process.