The Coventry Climax Formula 1 engine was based on a fire-pump, designed in 1950, in response to a British Government call for engineering firms to create a new generation fire-fighting device that could pump 350 gallons of water a minute at 100 psi and at the same time be carried easily by two men. The pump was designed by Walter Hassan and Harry Mundy, both of whom had worked in the automobile industry. Their Feather Weight Pump (FWP) won Coventry Climax a large government contract. Racers, who were always looking for engines with a good power-to-weight ratios, spotted the new pumps and convinced the company to enlarge them to 1100cc. These were called Feather Weight Automotive (FWA) and were first used in Kieft sports cars at Le Mans in 1954. Stretched to 1.5-litres they became the dominant engines in Formula 2 and it was not long before the first Coventry Climaxes began appearing in F1, powering Coopers. Stirling Moss won the first F1 victory in a 2-litre Cooper-Climax in Argentina in 1958.