Formula 1 has announced that it will be returning to Portimão for the Portuguese Grand Prix on May 2.
Last October, Portimão joined the Formula 1 calendar for the first time when F1 returned to Portugal after 25 years away. The race had a crowd of 27,000. F1 says it is working hard with the promoter and the Portuguese Government on the qustion of fan attendance. A decision is to be taken by the authorities in the coming weeks.
“We are thrilled to announce that Formula 1 will be racing again in Portimão after the huge success of the race last year,” said F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali. “We want to thank the promoter and the Portuguese Government for their hard work and dedication in getting us to this point. We are confident and excited about our 2021 season, having shown last year that we could deliver 17 races safely and bring our millions of fans thrilling racing at a difficult time. We hope to welcome fans to Portimão again this season in a safe way and are working with the promoter on the details of that plan.”